I'm sure everyone has a different idea of what a treasure is. The dictionary had quite a variety of meanings for the word treasure. The most common being wealth or riches stored or accumulated in the form of precious metals, money, jewels, or things of value. Another meaning was any thing or person greatly valued or highly prized. Yet another was to retain carefully or keep in store, as in the mind. Also, to regard or treat as precious, as in to cherish.
Many in our world seek for power, wisdom, and riches. To have power can be good and bad, depending on how you use it. Power is the ability to do or act; it's strength, might, even force. It's the capability of doing or accomplishing something. It can also mean the possession of control or command over others, or authority. And, having power also means having influence. To have wisdom is to have accumulated knowledge. It is also the quality or state of being wise, having knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action, discernment, or insight. We all must decide our own meaning for riches. While it might mean money and possessions to many, to others it could mean their family and friends.
Power, wisdom and wealth can be righteously sought after. God said he wants to bless us with these things as we use them for good purposes, which are His purposes. It all depends upon what is in our heart and what our true desires are.
"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Luke 12:34
"A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things." Matt 12:35
Or, we could reword that as “A good Queen, out of the good treasure of her heart, bringeth forth good things.”
The Lord wants us to enjoy the good things of the earth that He has provided for us, and He has asked us to use them with wisdom and gratitude, and to share what we have with those less fortunate than ourselves.
In the Doctrine & Covenants 38:39 the Lord tells us, "And if ye seek the riches which it is the will of the Father to give unto you, ye shall be the richest of all people, for ye shall have the riches of eternity; and it must needs be that the riches of the earth are mine to give; but beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old."
"But wo unto the rich, who are rich as to the things of the world. For because they are rich they despise the poor, and they persecute the meek, and their hearts are upon their treasures; wherefore, their treasure is their god. And behold, their treasure shall perish with them also." 2 Nephi 9:30
There is certainly enough and to spare for all of us. "For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves." D&C 104:17
More importantly though, I believe, is storing up spiritual treasures that will be with us for eternity. A lot of things could fit into that category. A question to measure our treasures by is: Are we building up treasures on earth, or treasures in heaven?
Elder Neil A. Maxwell said, "An inventory of how we spend our time will tell us where our treasure is."
As we seek to obtain, if we follow our Father's will for us, He will lead us to the things that He wants us to obtain. He knows better than we ever could, the things that will truly be a treasure to us. And, we will surely enjoy them more, obtaining them and using them in righteousness.
I pondered upon my treasures.
One of my most priceless treasures is my "Queenly Jewels"---my children that is! What role is more Queenly than that of a mother? And what is more precious to a mother than her children? Of course we value and treasure other relationships, such as our spouse, who is important to becoming a Heavenly Queen someday. But ahh, our children are so precious! Mine have all grown up and gotten out on their own. I miss them, as my little children, but thank goodness for memories. And now I have new treasures--grandchildren! That is the best bonus of being a mother! God will bless us for all eternities for our roles of motherhood, for all that we do to help provide bodies for his spirit children here on earth, and in caring for them and teaching them and nurturing them and loving them.
As much as I treasure my children and my motherhood, one of the truly greatest treasures on earth is the word of God--our scriptures! They can give us power, wisdom and wealth! How can we fulfill our role as women, in the Lord's way, without them? We are especially blessed to have the Book of Mormon. I love the song the kids sing in Primary called Scripture Power!
Scripture Power! Keeps me safe from sin. Scripture Power! is the power to win.
Scripture Power! Every day I need, the power that I get each time I read!
I really love the scriptures. They have blessed my life so much. I truly treasure them. Sometimes, when I just hold them in my hands I feel their great worth and it brings comfort to my whole soul. God has told us that we "shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures." Doctrine & Covenants 89:19
We can't find those "hidden" treasures with a casual or occasional reading of them. We must search them with consistency. Go to them for answers to life's questions and trials and problems. God has promised answers and we so often find them in our scriptures. I have never forgotten what Ardeth Kapp calls scriptures: Love letters from Home. They truly are.
This is my special set of scriptures. My own scriptural topical guide.
I got the idea from Elder Henry B. Eyring in the Ensign, Jul 2005, 22–26 “A Discussion on Scripture Study,”
Elder Eyring was asked in an interview: What have you done to make your own scripture study meaningful?
He said, "When I came into the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Elder Richard G. Scott suggested I buy an inexpensive set of scriptures and mark the insights and revelations I would gain in my new calling. So I did. But I went a little further. I asked Heavenly Father what He would have me do as an Apostle. I wrote down what I felt His answers were. I typed, color coded, and pasted those answers in the front of my scriptures. For example, the first one was “I am to be a witness that Christ is the Son of God.” Then I read my scriptures looking for ideas that taught me how to witness that Christ is the Son of God. Every time I came to something, I marked it in blue. Soon I developed my own topical guide around what I thought the Lord wanted me to do. I have learned much through this process. Going to the scriptures to learn what to do makes all the difference. The Lord can teach us. When we come to a crisis in our life, such as losing a child or spouse, we should go looking in the scriptures for specific help. We will find answers in the scriptures. The Lord seemed to anticipate all of our problems and all of our needs, and He put help in the scriptures for us—if only we seek it."
I used my patriarchal blessing as a guide to look for and mark special scriptures that pertained to my life, that made for me my own special topical guide.
Knowledge is a treasure. Knowledge is the experience that we came here to gain that will enable us to become like our Heavenly Father. And with that knowledge to be blessed with the wisdom to use it in the way wisdom is defined in the dictionary as: having knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action, discernment, or insight. That is a great treasure!
"And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, and strength of salvation; the fear (reverence or respect) of the Lord is His treasure." Isaiah 33:6
"For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy." Ecclesiastes 2:26
Prayer is a treasure. A priceless communication system with our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ, to let them know our needs. Of course we know they already know that, but praying for ourselves and others teaches us great things. Especially as we learn to trust and rely on God's answers and His will and timetable for us. We often learn patience as we wait for answers that can't come immediately. We are often amazed and so faith promoted when the answers come readily and quickly.
Prayer is a great comfort. "Pray always, and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall be your blessing---yeah, even more than if you should obtain treasures of earth and corruptibleness to the extent thereof." Doctrine & Covenants 19:38
Gratitude. Oh how important it is to be thankful always for the abundance of blessing the Lord pours out on us. If we don't have gratitude, our possession will become a curse to us.
"Ye do not remember the Lord your God in the things with which He hath blessed you, but ye do always remember your riches, not to thank the Lord your God for them; yea, your hearts are not drawn out unto the Lord, but they do swell with great pride, unto boasting." Helaman 13: 20-23
The gospel is such a treasure in my life. I can't even imagine trying to deal with all the things going on in this world without the sure and safe anchor of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. "...the kingdom of heaven is like unto a treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field." Matt 13:44
God's commandments that He gives us, and the covenants He makes with us, is a sure treasure. "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine." Exodus 19:5
So, with that covenant, not only do we obtain God's treasure, but we become His peculiar treasure. Just like my children are my jewels, we are God's jewels.
"And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels." Malachi 3:17
"Yet I will own them, and they shall be mine in that day when I shall come to make up my jewels." Doctrine & Covenants 101:3
Charity, the pure love of Christ...is such a treasure. Not only because He loves us with a perfect love and freely gives His grace and mercy to help us, but as we obtain that love for others we are greatly blessed and become more like the Savior ourselves. Sometimes charity is giving of ourselves or our substance to help the poor. Sometimes this means temporally or spiritually.
A rich young man, who was living a good life, keeping all of God's commandments, approached the Savior and asked Him, "What lack I yet?" The Savior answered: "If thou will be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." The young man went away sorrowing because he could not depart with his earthly riches. God probably isn't going to ask us to sell all that we have, but the lesson He is trying to teach us here is to give Him all that we have, which comes through our gift of agency--our heart, mind, might and soul, to the building up of His kingdom and by following Him. After all, He is the only way back to our Heavenly Father and to Eternal Life.
“Lay up for yourselves a treasure in heaven, yea, which is eternal, and which fadeth not away; yea, that ye may have that precious gift of eternal life, which we have reason to suppose hath been given to our fathers.” Helaman 5:8
Following Jesus Christ, His example, and His teachings is where true treasure lies: “In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Colossians 2:3
“Hearken ye to these words. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds.” Doctrine and Covenants 43:34
As life’s trials and challenges come upon us, we will be better prepared to handle them when we have prepared ourselves spiritually beforehand. There are many things God has given us to strengthen us spiritually, but in my own experience, the scriptures have been what has helped me the most.
Elder Robert D. Hales said, “…when we want to speak to God, we pray. And when we want Him to speak to us, we search the scriptures.” He also said, “The holy scriptures are the word of God given to us for our salvation. The scriptures are essential in receiving a testimony of Jesus Christ and His gospel….They are our spiritual lifeline.” And, “If the Savior were among us in the flesh today, He would teach us from the scriptures as He taught when He walked upon the earth.” (“Holy Scriptures: The Power of God unto Our Salvation,” Ensign, Nov 2006, 24–27)
The Holy Ghost is the supernal gift given to us to guide us and help us to know truth. “And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.” Moroni 10:4-5
Do you worry when you read and study that you cannot retain it? The Holy Ghost is the power by which all things can be brought to our remembrance. “Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.” Doctrine & Covenants 84:85
Sister Ann Madson, in a Women’s Conference address in 2005 said that the scriptures are a treasure house, and that as we store these scripture treasures in our hearts, they enter into our prayers effortlessly. I would add, also to our thoughts and our conversations.
The more I read and study the scriptures, the more I have found this to true, that phrases from the scriptures come into my mind at the moments that I need them the most. I genuinely love that and find that very comforting in my life.
President Spencer W. Kimball said, "Regardless of your particular circumstances, as you become more and more familiar with the truths of the scriptures, you will be more and more effective in keeping the second great commandment, to love your neighbor as yourself. Become scholars of the scriptures—not to put others down, but to lift them up! After all, who has any greater need to 'treasure up' the truths of the gospel (on which they may call in their moments of need) than do women and mothers who do so much nurturing and teaching?" (Spencer W. Kimball, “The Role of Righteous Women,” Ensign, Nov 1979, 102)
And, the knowledge we gain in this life will give us advantages in the life to come!
“And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.” Doctrine & Covenants 130:19
“How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather…than silver!” Proverbs 16:16
To gain knowledge is to gain wisdom and power. To gain righteous knowledge coupled with wisdom is to yield a great spiritual power that gives us the “ability to do or act: it's strength, might, even force” according to our free agency in choosing good over evil and having power over Satan, but most importantly it gives us a great influence over those around us. And who better do we want to influence for good than our children, grandchildren, and other loved ones in our lives?! And with that wisdom, we then have “truth or right coupled with just judgment as to action, discernment, or insight” as the dictionary tells us. We then have power to stay on that strait path and bring others with us along that path that leads back to our Heavenly home.
And all along the way, the Savior is there to help us.
“…and I have spoken unto thee because of thy desires; therefore, treasure up these words in thy heart. Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love.” Doctrine & Covenants 6:20
I could not end this post without mentioning what a treasure true friends are!!



No comments:
Post a Comment