Friday, February 29, 2008

Once Upon A Time....



...I met this girl named Susie on the campus of Brigham Young University, the year of 1977 A.D. We lived in the same "Queenly" establishment on campus called Heritage Halls...ours, of course, was Fox Hall. The young princes would constantly walk past or stop into our place to "check us out" because in those days to be a "fox" or "foxy" meant that you were pretty pleasing to look at, so to live in "Fox" Hall could only mean that you were for sure a "fox".
The poor young Elders serving their missions, and who lived up the hill from us in the MTC, had to walk past our Hall on their way to and from the Wilkenson Center, where us "foxy" girls would often be sitting out on our balcony checking them out as they went by. Oh the days of youth, especially college-age youth!
...oh yes, back to our story. This foxy girl I met, she and I became fast friends, even though we lived in different apartments. We spent a lot of time together and formed a very lasting friendship. Sometimes friends come and go...especially in college life. Everyone comes and goes and usually lives in places far far away from each other. My friend, Susie and I both came to BYU from California where our families lived. Susie was more of a native Californian than I was, and she lived in the Bay Area, whereas I came from a town way to the north end of California almost to the Oregon border.
Susie came to the semester at school in January of '77 and moved home again in the spring of '77. Some of the plans we had made together changed due to circumstances, and for only a short 4 months of friendship you'd have thought that ours would have been one of the passing ships, but we have come to believe that perhaps we were twins separated at birth...birth before this life that is! Perhaps we were twins in the pre-existance. (but that is another story for those who have no idea what I am talking about.) We just felt like we always knew each other. We are kindred spirits! Susie, shortly thereafter, became engaged and I was a bridesmaid at her wedding of course! She moved on into married life in California while I lived a single life in Provo, Utah. But even this did not stop our friendship as we wrote in the "old fashioned" way to each other on a regular basis. Pen, paper, and US postal stamps. Occasionally she would come to Utah to visit her in-laws and we would get together. In 1981 I moved into the rank of married life like my friend and was now established in Oregon. The "postal mail" continued and we had established a pattern of exchanging a small gift through the mail at Christmastime. My family took a few visits down to Susie's house over the ensuing years. Some years lapsed where the "postal mail" was few and far between, but the Christmas exchanges continued. Then in 1998 Susie wrote and invited me to go to BYU Womens Conference and our giggling friendship was renewed in the place where we had first met, on the BYU campus. Technology soon came into the scene of the day and we were once again frequent letter writers to each other. During the course of this newfound technological letter-writing Susie would often sign her letters "Susie-Q".
Susie-Q originated from a song by Dale Hawkins:
Oh, Susie Q, oh, Susie Q,
Oh, Susie Q, baby I love you, Susie Q
Well, in my eyes, the Q at the end of my friend's name could only stand for one thing--QUEEN! Susie-Q was my Queen of Friends. At a time in my life when I felt like no one else could understand what I was going through, my friend, Queen Susie was there for me, encouraging me on. And I for her. She soon started calling me Peggy-Q and thus it began. Our Queenly Quest! And what exactly is a Queenly Quest? Read on....

No comments: